Friday, December 17, 2010

Top Songs of All Time 1151-1175

1151 The Warrior                                       Scandal Featuring Patty Smyth
1152 Be Near Me                                       ABC
1153 You've Got a Friend                           James Taylor
1154 Young Americans                               David Bowie
1155 Can't You Her My Heartbeat             Hermans Hermits
1156 I Got the Feelin'                                  Neal Diamond
1157 I Get Around                                      Beach Boys
1158 We Can Work It Out                          Beatles
1159 Bargain                                               Who
1160 Over and Over                                   The Dave Clark Five
1161 Walk of Life                                        Dire Straits
1162 Don't Mess with Bill                            Marvelettes
1163 Together Forever                                Rick Astley
1164 P.I.M.P.                                             Fifty Cent
1165 I Want Your Love                              Chic
1166 For What Its Worth                            Buffalo Springfield
1167 You Were Made for Me                    Freddie & the Dreamers
1168 Words                                                Bee Gees
1169 My Back Pages                                  Byrds
1170 Ride My Seesaw                                Moody Blues
1171 Rock Steady                                       Whispers
1172 Absolutely Right                                   Five Man Electrical Band
1173 5D                                                       Byrds
1174 Come Sail Away                                  Styx
1175 Bon Temps Roulet                               Brother Joscephus and the Love Revival Revolution

Well, I have to start with  the most righteous Brother Joscephus and his 12 person band. Whether you call it New Orleans soul or secular gospel or just good time party music I have never seen a band like Brother Joscephus and the Love Revival Revolution. I was up at Stratton Mountain in Vermont for the fourth of July this past year and this band was playing outside I never heard of. My son was also there and he realized he had seen them in a club in Amagansett, Long Island a month ago. I have never seen a band I liked so much immediately. Their music was great, they write there own stuff(although they did do a couple of covers) and Brother Joscephus is a showman. I bought their cd there and I play it all the time in my car. My daughter and I sing one song together at the top of our lungs but that is another story. Bon Temps Roulez(Let the Good Times Roll) is a great song. It is on You Tube and their website(Brother Joscephus.com). You don't believe me--check them out tomorrow night in the city at the City Winery or New Years Eve at Stratton Mountain . This is the first of 3 songs by the righteous brother on my top 1230.

The rest of this group of 25 has a large number of British Invasion bands from the 60s--Beatles, Hermans Hermits, Dave Clark Five and Freddie and the Dreamers which is when I started putting together my top 20 every week which later turned into my top 40 and it continued until I went to college. Just couldn't get Casey Kasim every week up at St. Lawrence University. I did see Peter Noone (Herman) playing outside not too many years (maybe 7-8) ago and he has aged well. Alas, Freddie Garrity died recently as did Mike Smith--the voice of the Dave Clark Five. Why didn't Dave Clark ever do any revival concerts?

Ride My Seesaw is the first of 10 Moody Blues songs on the top 1230. I did not like them at all at college but I have come to love them as an adult. They are great live and my wife and I saw them at the NJ Performing Arts Centr about 4 years ago




        

3 comments:

  1. Still have not seen Brother Joscephus live, but they are at the top of my 'must see' list. You're right-- songs are so catchy that you can't help but be hooked at first listen. Would love to hire them for a private party but hear they run between $5,000 and $10,000. They have great, original sound and unbelievable lyrics. Good choice, Dad.

    Didn't know 'P.I.M.P.' was on your list- ha ha. Remeber when 'In da Club' was your ringtone? Hope to see that one higher on the list...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The good brother! I must echo my sister's excitement in seeing them break into this elite list. Imagine my surprise when halfway down Stratton Mountain I heard the secular gospel of this 11-piece supergroup. I wonder what else is to come. They are playing City Winery, Dec 18th...if only I had someone to go with. Ladies, not all at once. Bon temps Roulez til the day I die...

    I'll also highlight how pleasing it is to see Rick Astley in the top 1230. I wonder if we can expect more Rick as the countdown gains altitude. Guy's got moves. Don't take my word for it. Just watch the music video for 'Never gonna give you up.' To think that some people listen to this artist ironically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Julie. You won't be disappointed to see In Da Club higher up the list. What's the dilly with Fifty and Chelsea Handler??

    Jim,

    Got to agree with you that Rick Astley is the man. The excitement in the crowd when Phil popped out of a cake at the Macy's parade was immeasurable. His appeal transcends generations. You won't be disappointed to see "Never Gonna Give You Up" further up the chart.

    Bon Temps Roulez.

    ReplyDelete