Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My Top Songs of All Time 976-1,000

976 River Deep Mountain High                 Ike and Tina Turner
977 Sussudio                                            Phil Collins
978 The Rain                                            Oran "Juice" Jones
979 Ticket to Ride                                    Beatles
980 I Want to Take You Higher                Sly and the Family Stone
981 Jesus is Just All Right                          Doobie Brothers
982 Neither One of Us                              Gladys Knight and the Pips
983 Just Seven Numbers                           Four Tops
984 Sloop John B                                     Beach Boys
985 So Emotional                                     Whitney Houston
986 I'm a Believer                                     Monkees
987 I'm Telling You Now                          Freddie and the Dreamers
988 Young Girl                                         Gary Puckett and the Union Gap
989 Superstar                                           Carpenters
990 Workin' My Way Back                      Four Seasons
991 Doo Wah Diddy                                Manfred Mann
992 Just a Little                                        Beau Brummels
993 Dandelion                                         Rolling Stones
994 Whatcha See is Whatcha Get            Dramatics
995 My Maria                                          BW Stevenson
996 Roxanne                                            Police
997 I Feel Fine                                          Beatles
998 How Can I Be Sure?                          Young Rascals
999 Naughty Girls Need Love Too            Samantha Fox
1000 When Smokey Sings                         ABC

Oran "Juice" Jones is truly a one-hit wonder with his #9 hit in 1986 The Rain----I saw you and him walkin in the rain....Alas after one hit and apparently a bit of a struggle he stopped recording to take care of his mother and raise a family. His two children are apparently very active in the music world.

I thought the Beau Brummels growing up were an English group but they were actually a San Francisco band who patterned their music after the British invasion and whose sound can remind one of the Beatles or Zombies. They were also credited for setting the foundation of the San Francisco sound. Just a Little and Laugh Laugh are both great songs.

Just Seven Numbers is the first of 8 songs on my list by the Four Tops--one of the great bands of all time. I believe 3 of the original Four Tops have passed away including most recently their fabulous lead singer Levi Stubbs.

Speaking of which, I heard a couple of months ago that Ron Banks the voice of the Detroit-based Dramatics passed away. Up much higher on my survey is their classic song "In the Rain"

Sadly this list has another song from an artist who left us far too early. BW Stevenson passed away at 38. My Maria was his one top 40 hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment