Saturday, January 8, 2011

My Top Songs of All Time 1076-1100

1076 Sugar Daddy                                    Jackson 5
1077 Day by Day                                     Godspell(Original Cast)
1078 Fortunate Son                                  Creedence Clearwater Revival
1079 Say You Love Me                            Fleetwood Mac
1080 Jungle Boogie                                   Kool and the Gang
1081 Hooked on a Feelin'                          BJ Thomas
1082 Hey Jude                                          Beatles
1083 You Were On My Mind                   We Five
1084 Songbird                                           Fleetwood Mac
1085 96 Tears                                           ? and the Mysterians
1086 Back off Boogaloo                           Ringo Starr
1087 You and I                                        Rick James
1088 Livin' in Shame                                 Diana Ross and the Supremes
1089 Release Me                                      Wilson Phillips
1090 Its Not Unusual                                 Tom Jones
1091 25 or 6 to 4                                      Chicago
1992 King Tut                                           Steve Martin
1093 Its a Livin' Thing                                Electric Light Orchestra
1094 Holly Holy                                        Neal Diamond
1095 Somebody                                       Bryan Adams
1096 My Baby Must be a Magician           Marvalettes
1097 Goodbye Stranger                             Supertramp
1098 Slide                                                 Goo Goo Dolls
1099 Brown Eyed Girl                                Van Morrison
1100 The Tide is High                                 Blondie

Needless to say this is the only time the San Francisco-based We Five will be in my countdown with their #3 hit in 1965 You Were  On My Mind. They did chart in the Billboard Top 100 with Lets Get Together  which was remade into a monster hit by the Youngbloods. The voice of the We Five, Beverly Bivens is still in the music business I believe and the group has been crediited with being the bridge between Peter Paul & Mary and The Mamas and the Papas.

Similarly, this is the only time that the garage-rock Michigan-based band ? and the Mysterians will appear on my countdown with the #1 smash in 1966 96 Tears. Although they had a minor hit with I Need Somebody(peaked at #22) and two other songs hit the Billboard top100, they are primarily known for 96 Tears. Fronted by Rudy Martinez, they have recorded in recent years in the Michigan but the last concert they gave is listed on their website as 2008.

One of my favorite bands of all time and probably my wifes favorite is Fleetwood Mac. Songbird and Say You Love Me represent the first two of 11 songs on my countdown. Unlike many fans of this band, my favorite singer is not Stevie Nicks but Christie McVie who alas I believe is retired in Scotland somewhere and seems highly unlikely to return.

1 comment:

  1. These are my top songs. http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2011/11/my-top-25-actually-43-favourites-tracks.html

    ReplyDelete